This recipe takes the classic chewy chocolate cookie and turns it into something altogether more grown up with a little help from crushed pistachios, orange zest, dark chocolate chunks and ground cardamom. Stash them away from kids (and other adults- let’s be honest) and enjoy when you’ve got a quiet moment to yourself, preferably with a strong coffee.
Ingredients (makes 20-24 large cookies)
- 225g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 150g dark brown soft sugar
- zest 1 orange
- 1tsp ground cardamom (or 8-10 cardamom pods, crushed)
- 2 eggs
- 100g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g plain flour
- pinch sea salt
- 300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Place the butter, sugars, zest and ground cardamom in a large bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment) and cream together until light and fluffy using electric beaters (or a wooden spoon if you’re slightly mad/ less lazy than me).
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Once the eggs are fully incorporated, tip in the pistachios and stir. Now sift the bicarbonate of soda, flour and salt into the batter and beat briefly to form a soft dough.
- Finally, add the chocolate chunks and stir with a spoon to evenly distribute. The dough won’t be firm and to make cooking easier I like to freeze it before baking. To do this simply lay a long rectangle of cling film across your work surface, spoon on the dough in a long line and roll up, shaping into a log. Chill for half an hour and at this stage preheat the oven to 180c and line some baking trays.
- Once your cookie dough logs have firmed up a bit, unwrap them and cut into slices (about 1.5 cm thick). Place the slices on the prepared baking trays with generous spaces between them for spreading (I usually put about 4 on each tray).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden but still soft and chewy in the middle. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
5 thoughts on “Orange, Dark Chocolate, Pistachio and Cardamom Cookies”
Yum! I love cardamom and I love orange so I will need to try this recipe.
These look so good! Weekend baking project!
And did make them and they were lovely!