This deliciously fresh tasting cake made up of homemade lemon curd, tangy cream cheese frosting and moist courgette sponge makes for the a great Easter treat, and the recipe will serve you well over the coming months when you’re looking for a simple and zesty summer bake too.
- zest 3 lemons
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 375g grated courgette (2-3)
- 75g sultanas
- 300g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4-5tbsp milk
For the lemon curd filling:
- 4 lemons (juice and zest)
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g butter, cubed
- 3 eggs, 1 egg yolk
For the cream cheese icing:
- 300g cream cheese
- 100ml double cream
- 100g icing sugar
To decorate: edible flowers, courgette ribbons, chocolate eggs
- Make the lemon curd first; put the lemon zest and juice, caster sugar and eggs in a saucepan and briefly whisk. Set over a gentle heat and gradually add the butter cubes, whisking constantly. After a few minutes the curd will start to thicken- keep whisking until you have used up the butter and stop when the lemon curd coats the back of the spoon (about 10-15 minutes). Set aside for later and cover the surface with cling film to prevent a thick skin from forming.
- Preheat the oven to 160c. Grease and line two 8 inch cake tins.
- Place the butter, lemon zest and caster sugar in a large bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer) and cream together until light, pale and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Squeeze any excess moisture out of the grated courgette then fold into the batter along with the sultanas.
- Sift over the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Carefully fold in followed by the milk. The batter will be very thick- don’t be alarmed!
- Split the batter between the two tins and level off. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden, well risen and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Leave the cakes to cool in their tins while you make the cream cheese icing. Place the cream cheese and cream in a bowl and beat together until thick, then sift in the icing sugar and beat to combine.
- Now it’s time to assemble your bake. Take your first cake and level off the top (if necessary) then pipe a circle of cream cheese icing around the edge. Fill the middle with your lemon curd (using the cream cheese line as a barrier) and place the other cake on top. Cover the complete cake with the remaining cream cheese icing and decorate as you wish.