These dark chocolate covered bars are packed with nuts, seeds, fresh blackberries and oats; they’re essentially loaded flapjacks without the refined sugar and dairy, so you can feel a little better about having that extra piece (plus they’re vegan and absolutely don’t taste like those cardboard-esque ‘healthy’ alternatives to baked goods- you know the ones I mean).
- 175g coconut oil
- 175g your favourite nut butter (I used a combination of almond and peanut)
- 175g agave syrup
- 400g oats (I used Royal Oats Jumbo variety which you can find here)
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- pinch salt
- 50g flaxseeds
- 50g chia seeds
- 150g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 200g fresh raspberries
- 200g fresh blackberries
- 150g dark chocolate
- freeze dried raspberries (optional)
- a few chopped pistachios (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170c (325f/ gas mark 3). Grease and line a square brownie tin (about 22x22cm).
- Place the coconut oil, nut butter and agave syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until everything melts together, then set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the oats, spices, salt, seeds, pistachios, blackberries and raspberries. Pour the slightly cooled nutty liquid into the bowl and mix until the dry ingredients are all evenly coated (don’t be too rough with the berries as they can break up quite easily- you want some to remain whole!).
- Tip the oat mix into the prepared tin and pack down with the back of a spoon. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Once baked, leave the traybake to cool completely in the tin. When it’s cooled and set up a little melt the dark chocolate (either in a ban marie or in short blasts in the microwave) and spread evenly all over the top. Sprinkle on the freeze dried raspberries and chopped pistachios (if you’re using them) and chill until the chocolate has set. Slice into bars and enjoy!