I’ve been back in my winter coat and even wore a scarf yesterday due to the fact that the weather here in the UK has been akin to a small child throwing a tantrum… that said, when I made this cake (and naturally spent the day inside) it was gloriously sunny and something light and zesty was in order. This is essentially a lemon drizzle with a couple of welcome extras; a subtle hum of thyme and a honey spiked tangy cream cheese icing- the perfect understated but delicious cake for a casual summer get together.
- 225g soft butter
- 225g caster sugar
- zest 4 lemons
- 1tbsp chopped thyme
- 4 eggs (free range)
- 225g self raising flour
- 2-3tbsp milk
For the lemon drizzle:
- 3tbsp runny honey (local where possible)
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 125ml lemon juice
For the lemon cream cheese frosting:
- 300g cream cheese
- 50ml double cream
- zest 2 lemons
- 3tbsp runny honey (plus extra for a final drizzle, if you like)
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Grease and line a square baking tin.
- Place the butter, sugar, lemon zest and thyme in a bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer) and cream together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Once the eggs are thoroughly incorporated, sift in the flour and pour in the milk. Fold gently until well combined then scrape into the prepared tin and level off. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- While the lemon and thyme sponge is cooking, make the lemon and honey drizzle. To do this simply put the honey, lemon juice and caster sugar together in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved and formed a syrup. Set aside.
- When the cake is ready, skewer holes all across the surface and pour the drizzle evenly over the top, allowing it to soak in. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese icing. Place the cream cheese, double cream, honey, lemon zest and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick. Spread a generous layer over the completely cooled cake and drizzle with any extra honey.