Yep, I’ve jumped on the detox January bandwagon, and here’s the first of my healthier bakes; butternut squash, date, blueberry and cinnamon muffins. A quick scroll through my blog and it won’t come as a shock that I’m a bit clueless when it comes to ‘free from’ baking, but I’ve actually surprised myself with what can be done without the conventional sugars and flours I’m used to. The fruit in these muffins add sweetness and the almonds create a moist and soft texture making them a great (and still tasty) alternative to the sugar packed treats I’m sure we’ve all indulged in over Christmas. Give them a try!
Ingredients (makes 12):
- 200g finely grated butternut squash
- 100g melted butter
- 100g chopped dates (softened in a little boiling water)
- 2 eggs
- 2tsp baking powder
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 60g ground almonds
- 175g buckwheat flour (or self raising if you don’t need a GF option)
- 200g fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Place the squash in a bowl along with the melted butter, dates, date water and eggs. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add the baking powder, spices, ground almonds, flour and blueberries. Stir gently into the wet ingredients until just combined then distribute evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.