This dairy and gluten free upside down cake will brighten up your winter meals with it’s perfect balance of sweet and citrus flavours. The polenta gives it a course texture but the oranges and almonds make it moist and it’s perfect paired with a big dollop of (dairy free) creme fraiche.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil, for greasing
- 3tbsp runny honey
- 1 whole orange, sliced
- 5 eggs, separated
- 225ml sunflower oil
- 225g caster sugar
- zest 1 orange (reserve the juice)
- zest 1 lemon
- 150g polenta
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tsp (gluten free) baking powder
- For the syrup: 1 pomegranate (seeds only), 200ml reserved orange juice (top up with water if you don’t have enough), 50g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Generously grease an 8 or 9 inch cake tin with the oil and place a disc of greaseproof paper in the bottom.
- Drizzle the base with the honey and arrange the slices of orange on top.
- Place the egg yolks, oil, 175g of the caster sugar and the orange/lemon zest in a bowl. Beat until thick and pale then add the polenta, almonds and baking powder and stir together.
- In a separate (very clean) bowl, whisk the egg whites until they come to soft peaks then add the remaining 50g caster sugar and whisk until medium/stiff peaks form. Put one large spoonful of the egg white into the other ingredients and mix to loosen, then fold the rest in.
- Carefully scrape the finished cake mix into the prepared cake tin (don’t drop it in from a height or you will push out all the air you’ve incorporated!). Level off the top carefully and bake for 30-40 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted).
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Simply place the orange juice (and water if needed) and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has dissolved bring to the boil for about 5 minutes- once the syrup has thickened slightly take off the heat and add the pomegranate seeds. Set aside.
- When the cake is ready, turn out of the tin and drizzle with syrup. Arrange the pomegranate seeds on top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a spoonful of dairy free creme fraiche/yoghurt.