This spiced apple side is so easy to make and pairs perfectly with so many dishes; sandwich it between sponges to make deliciously moist celebration cakes, use it as a topping for porridge and waffles, enjoy it warm with ice cream or pile it onto meringue for the ultimate Winter pavlova!
- 75g butter
- 100g dark brown soft sugar
- 4 large cooking apples
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp mixed spice
- zest 1 orange
- Core, peel and dice the apples.
- Place the butter, sugar, apples, slices, juice and zest in a large saucepan. Allow the sugar and butter to melt on a low heat then stir to coat the apples.
- Increase the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the sauce thickened slightly. Finish with a pinch of salt, if you like.
- This compote is delicious served hot or cold (and you can reheat it if you’d like to use it the following day).