If you know me you will be well aware that chocolate is my kryptonite; if it’s there, I will eat it/ drink it/ not share it. In winter I naturally move onto hot chocolate and drink it by the bucketload (this year I’ve had to reign it in as last winter I got into an at-least-once-a-day habit… don’t tell me how bad that is for me. I know).
Anyway, addiction aside, I thought it was only right for me to share my recipe for the best, most luxurious hot chocolate you can make at home (tis the season after all)…
- 250ml water
- 3tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 litre milk (I use semi skimmed)
- 100g dark chocolate (chopped)
- 50g milk chocolate (chopped)
- 4tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- For serving (optional): torched marshmallows, chocolate stirrers, whipped cream
- Bring the water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Add the cocoa and whisk out the lumps, then add the milk gradually, constantly stirring.
- Bring back to a simmer and add in the chocolate, sugar and salt. Whisk until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Distribute into 4 mugs and if you want to be really fancy, top with whipped cream, marshmallows and more chocolate.