These light zesty cupcakes topped with a swirl of jet black chocolate buttercream are great for ghoulish kids parties. They taste delicious, are ridiculously simple to make and look pretty dark and mysterious too- ideal for Halloween.
For the sponge:
- 200g soft butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1tsp orange extract
- zest 1 orange
- 4 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
For the chocolate buttercream:
- 150g dark chocolate
- 300g soft butter
- 600g icing sugar
- 2tbsp milk
- 1tsp black gel food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Place your butter and caster sugar in a bowl. Whisk together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and adding a little flour to prevent a curdled mixture.
- After the eggs have been incorporated, add the orange extract and zest. Mix together thoroughly then sift in the flour. Fold with a large metal spoon until well incorporated.
- Distribute the mix between the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen and springy.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and make the frosting.
- To make the black buttercream, whisk the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy, then add the melted dark chocolate and milk. Whisk again until non-streaky then add enough black food colouring to achieve a solid colour. I find gel colouring the most effective.
- Pipe or spread the buttercream over your cupcakes and enjoy!